Grants and Community Initiatives Program:
How to Apply
Vancouver Foundation has a two-stage application process. The first stage is a Letter of Intent (LOI). This consists of a brief proposal to determine basic suitability. The second stage is submission of a full grant application by a specific date.
Stage One: Letter of Intent
Your Letter of Intent should contain the following information:
- Introduction to your organization, including your Registered Charitable Business Number
- Statement of the issues or community priorities that the project will address, and how the project was identified as a priority by your organization
- Which other organizations in the community you are working with (as appropriate)
- Concise description of the activities to be undertaken
- Start-up and completion dates
- Project budget identifying expenditures and revenue, showing that at least 50 per cent of potential revenue will be coming from other funding sources
- The amount requested from Vancouver Foundation and where it will be allocated in your expenditures
A Director or Manager will review your letter of intent for basic eligibility and fit with Vancouver Foundation priorities and Advisory Committees' purposes and goals. Staff may contact you if they have additional questions.
Stage Two: Grant Application
If staff determine that, based on your letter of intent, your request aligns with our guidelines and the goals of a specific Advisory Committee, you will be invited to submit a full grant application prior to the next deadline.
After receipt of your application, the Director or Manager will review and assess your funding request. Staff may phone or meet with you at this stage to go over further details of your project. The assessment may include consultation with other funders, stakeholders and those knowledgeable in the field or local community.
Members of the relevant Advisory Committee will also review your application, taking the staff assessment and recommendation into account. Committee decisions are sent as recommendations for final approval by Vancouver Foundation’s Board of Directors. Final decisions on all grants rest with the Foundation, and are provided approximately 12 weeks after the application deadline date. You will receive written notification of the decision, along with the terms and conditions of any approved grant.
All submitted materials become the property of Vancouver Foundation.
After a Grant Has Been Awarded
Payments will be processed upon receipt of:
- a signed Grant Information Sheet
- written confirmation that all conditions have been met
- written payment request when the project is about to start
- notice that the project is about to begin and funds are needed
Vancouver Foundation expects the following from grant recipients:
- activities will reflect those described in the application form
- approval from the staff contact prior to any alterations in plan
- proper fiscal management
- interim and/or final reports (financial, demonstrating expenditures funded by Vancouver Foundation, and narrative)
- willingness to share project successes and challenges with staff and community
- public recognition of the support received from Vancouver Foundation, with Vancouver Foundation logo and recognition resources.
Foundation staff appreciate the opportunity to make site visits. In some cases, we may ask to highlight your project for use in our communications and publications.
Review letter of intent and application deadlines
Read our most frequently asked questions.
Search previous grants in all our funding areas.