You are here
Bard on the Beach Endowment Fund
Established in 1990, Bard on the Beach Shakespeare Festival has grown from its humble beginnings in a single, small tent to the largest Shakespeare festival in Western Canada. Bard on the Beach is a world-class Shakespeare festival, actively contributing to Vancouver’s creative economy through high-quality performances that attract nearly 100,000 patrons each summer and over 1.5 million since its inception.
Bard on the Beach’s vision is to create an enduring contribution to the cultural fabric of the community as a centre of Shakespeare performance and education, inspiring understanding and appreciation. Presented in a magnificent setting on the waterfront in Vancouver’s Vanier Park, the Festival offers Shakespeare plays and related dramas, diverse music concerts and special events in two performance tents from June through September. Bard actors perform against a living backdrop of mountains, sea and sky — a highlight of the unique Bard experience for visitors and residents alike.
Bard on the Beach’s vision is to create an enduring contribution to the cultural fabric of the community
Bard’s mission is further served through a robust portfolio of education programs including:
- Young Shakespearean Workshops in the tents at Vanier Park;
- Bard in the Classroom Workshops held across the Lower Mainland during the school year;
- Bard in Your Neighbourhood, a free workshop program for youth in underserved communities; and,
- Riotous Youth training program for young people aged 19– 24.
Working with our Bard Teaching Artists, these programs allow young people to engage with Shakespeare’s characters, themes and stories and explore how they remain relevant today.
In 2015, Bard on the Beach moved into our first permanent production and administrative facility at the BMO Theatre Centre. This move begins a new phase of stability for Bard, and allows us the ability to expand our vision of an accessible home for Shakespeare education through expanded year-round programming for students, artists and theatre enthusiasts of all ages.
Bard on the Beach’s Endowment Fund helps secure the future success of the Festival and continue the legacy of Shakespeare and his work for generations to come.
To learn more about the Bard on the Beach Festival and youth programs please visit their website.
For questions about this fund or Vancouver Foundation, please contact Linda Morgan at 778-309-0963.
- In order to properly recognize all donors for their contributions, Vancouver Foundation will share your name and donation amount with the fund advisor unless you have checked the anonymous box on the donation form.
- Donations to this fund will support the charity’s general charitable purposes. Statements about the fund’s purpose or how donations will be applied are reflective of the charity’s current intent, and are subject to change.
- All donations to this fund will be permanently endowed.