You are here
Galiano Conservancy Association Endowment Fund
Formed in 1989 as an instrument for community-based land acquisition, management and conservation of land and habitat, the Galiano Conservancy Association is a broad-based organization devoted to land and marine conservation, stewardship and restoration, and environmental education and public awareness.
The Galiano Conservancy Association has set up this Endowment Fund to support the Millard Learning Centre in perpetuity.
Your donation of money, securities, bequests or insurance will support the Millard Learning Centre, allowing the Conservancy to:
- Provide action-oriented experiential education
- Restore damaged ecosystems
- Demonstrate ecologically sustainable ways forward, increasing our wider community's knowledge base around food security, renewable energy and sustainable living practices, and species and habitat conservation
The Millard Learning Centre
The most recent and ambitious initiative to date is the Conservancy's Millard Learning Centre, an incredible 188-acre parcel of land on Galiano purchased in 2012 with the support of the Nature Conservancy of Canada, who contributed $2M for the acquisition. With two kilometers of untouched waterfront, an accessible cove area, old growth Douglas fir Arbutus forests, wetlands and agricultural areas, the Millard Learning Centre is being developed as a hub for teaching respectful and sustainable living practices. School groups from Kindergarten to post-secondary undergraduate are hosted for single and multiple day sessions, getting immersed in the natural world from which they are increasingly separated in their daily lives.
Action Oriented Learning
The Millard Learning Centre offers hands-on action-oriented learning focusing on topics such as orienteering, permaculture, forest gardens and renewable energy solutions, using its own infrastructure and practices as real life examples. The site has excellent potential for solar, micro-hydro and wind energy generation, some of which is already underway. Experiential education is at the heart of the Centre, with a variety of programs and workshops to be offered for a wide population. Undergraduate field courses from UVic are hosted, focusing on marine conservation and restoration field practices to date. Enabling research activities is a priority goal of the Management Plan set for the land.
Agriculture and Restoration
Agricultural areas in the Agricultural Land Reserve will remain as such, teaching participants and the regional community permaculture through a food forest and all of the steps in food production. Participants get their hands dirty and work in teams to heal the land through ecological restoration, and taste the foods they have helped to grow.
The Millard Learning Centre has much history of human use, from logging and agricultural activities in particular. While the Conservancy plans to restore - with the involvement of participants - areas on the land damaged from past activities, this human legacy is simultaneously embraced as the Centre will demonstrate alternative ways forward as a society which do not tread so heavily on the environment that sustains us.
Thank you for your support.
For more information about this fund, please contact Jenna Falk Galiano Conservancy Association at 250-539-2424.
- To properly recognize all donors for their contributions, Vancouver Foundation will share your name and donation amount with the fund advisor unless you have checked the anonymous box on the donation form.
- Donations to this fund will support the charity’s general charitable purposes. Statements about the fund’s purpose or how donations will be applied are reflective of the charity’s current intent and are subject to change.
- All donations to this fund will be permanently endowed.