In the next 4-years, 210 Indigenous youth will pass through VIDEA's Indigenous Internship, Shared Wisdom, and youth-led reconciliation projects. This represents an unprecedented opportunity to build Indigenous Board leadership. Leaders Now develops on VIDEA's work in each of these projects, engaging Indigenous participants to:
1. Create a leadership development project that meaningfully responds to their own needs as emerging Indigenous leaders;
2. Explore the challenges that Indigenous youth face from their perspective in accessing, and thriving in Board roles;
3. Create, implement, evaluate, and refine with Indigenous youth, innovative tools that help them to better understand the role they can play in Board governance and decolonisation and that build their own Board knowledge, governance and leadership skills.
4. Create resources for VIDEA (and others) to use with Indigenous youth on an ongoing basis;
5. As appropriate, support participating youth to identify and take up Board roles and explore the role they can play in mentoring and encouraging peers into Board roles.
Leaders Now will also explore the impact that funding relationships and mechanisms have on an organisations ability to decolonise organisational governance practices identifying opportunities for change; promote to other organisations the advantages of integrating Indigenous youth into their Boards; widely distribute new knowledge and tools to other organisations, youth, and funders.