You are here
Spirit of SCWIST Fund
The Spirit of SCWIST Endowment Fund was established to support the long-term financial stability of the non-profit Society for Canadian Women In Science and Technology (SCWIST).
Since 1981, SCWIST has promoted, encouraged and empowered women and girls in science, technology, engineering and math through programs and activities they have developed in partnership with the community. By facilitating, networking, mentoring and advocating woman-friendly policies, SCWIST has boosted the numbers and status of women in the workplace. In addition, by raising public awareness and guiding policy implementation, SCWIST has highlighted opportunities, achievements and positive messages for and about women in the field.
Anyone can see why SCWIST’s influence was needed in the 1980’s… but we’ve come a long way as an equal rights society since then. So why is SCWIST still needed for women and girls today?
- To focus on the systemic barriers and structural changes needed to have more girls entering Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) education and more women thriving in STEM throughout their careers.
- To alleviate outdated assumptions that persist about women as leaders in STEM.
- To support the growing numbers of highly-trained women who have immigrated to Canada who do not work in their chosen fields. To encourage girls to imagine STEM as part of their future through mentoring, outreach and girl-led conferences with the MS Infinity Program.
- To reduce barriers for adults living in remote communities and balancing career and family obligations. SCWIST’s Make Possible program is a mentoring and skills exchange that can be accessed anywhere, anytime.
For questions about this fund or Vancouver Foundation, please contact Nicole Jeschelnik at 604-629-5356.
- To properly recognize all donors for their contributions, Vancouver Foundation will share your name and donation amount with the fund advisor unless you have checked the anonymous box on the donation form.
- Donations to this fund will support the charity’s general charitable purposes. Statements about the fund’s purpose or how donations will be applied are reflective of the charity’s current intent and are subject to change.
- All donations to this fund will be permanently endowed.