Develop Grants are short-term grants that generate ideas and build capacity and common ground for shared action and learning by community stakeholders.
Grants may support work such as determining organizational readiness or convening stakeholders as a cohort (geographic region; sector-specific e.g. the arts; social services) in development of practice and/or policy changes. For example, organizations could explore what decolonizing their board structure or recruitment and retention strategies might look like. Activities are typically completed within six months. We encourage organizations to work together through a cohort model that is place or sector based. Matching funds are not required for this grant application.
Test Grants help project teams test ideas and learn what works. Grants may support work such as piloting an initiative at the staff or board level.
For example, a board mentorship program could be used to recruit young leaders as board members or funds could go towards addressing current inequities by increasing job security for Indigenous or racialized immigrant or refugee young adults (through paying a living wage, providing benefits, full-time employment, etc.) that also provides a pathway to leadership within the organization and/or sector. Activities are typically completed within 12 – 18 months. We encourage organizations to work together through a cohort model that is place or sector based. Matching funds are not required for this grant application.
Develop and Test Grants do not fund:
- Projects that take place primarily outside of BC
- An organization’s core operational expenses
- Project expenses that have been incurred prior to the application date or that we feel should be covered by other funding sources
- Event sponsorships
- Bridge funding, debt retirement, reserves or mortgage pay-downs
- Endowment matching grants
- Capital and public infrastructure projects (e.g. libraries, schools, health care facilities)
- Travel to and/or attendance at conferences, competitions, symposia or annual events
- Bursaries, scholarships and awards