You are here
Fund for Gender Equality
UPDATE: For the full list of awarded grants, please click here.
The Fund for Gender Equality offers grants of up to $40,000 to support organizations in BC that are working to advance gender equality through community-level initiatives.
Through this Fund, we will deliver $320,000 to support organizations whose core activities, leadership, mission, and vision are committed to advancing gender equality. Organizations will be able to use this funding to support a wide range of projects such as piloting new initiatives, addressing community needs, or supporting a just recovery from the pandemic.
This new grant stream is made possible by a national initiative called the Communities for Gender Equality to advance gender equality, led by Community Foundations of Canada and with the support of the Government of Canada. Vancouver Foundation has committed to join this initiative to take action on ways that will help to build a more just future in BC.
For organizations in North Okanagan, South Okanagan/Similkameen, Prince George, Sunshine Coast, or Victoria, please contact your local community foundation to apply.
To learn why Vancouver Foundation is taking part in this initiative, click here.
- Qualified donees based in British Columbia that have demonstrated a long-term commitment to empowering women, girls, Two-Spirit, and gender-diverse people through their mission, activities, and partnerships. Non-qualified donees can partner with a qualified donee to apply to the Fund. For organizations in North Okanagan, South Okanagan/Similkameen, Prince George, Sunshine Coast, or Victoria, please contact your local community foundation to apply.
- Priority will be given to organizations that are ‘self-led’—those that are led by the same groups that they focus on serving.
Projects submitted for funding must:
- Support initiatives that provide vital and direct support to women, girls, Two-Spirit, and gender-diverse people
- Take place and incur costs between November 1, 2020 and March 31, 2022
Further priority will be given to projects that:
- Respond to an immediate or urgent need by women, girls, Two-Spirit and gender-diverse in the community, including the impacts of COVID-19;
- Sustain or rebuild the capacity of organizations that are led by and primarily serve women, girls, Two-Spirit and gender-diverse individuals;
- Address ‘systems-level’ or root causes of gender equality;'
- Involve women, girls, Two-Spirit and gender-diverse individuals with diverse lived experiences and other community members who are affected by the issue being addressed by the proposed project;
- Work in strategic partnership with others
Projects submitted for funding must not:
- Be infrastructure or capital-only projects (ie. building or renovating a building, buying a vehicle);
- Uniquely focus on convening, hosting events or drafting reports;
- Be major capital purchases (over $2000 per purchase);
- Be fundraising events and activities;
- Have already received funding from the Government of Canada or a partner of the Government of Canada for the same activities.
- November 3, 2020: Applications open
- November 30, 2020 at 11:59 PM PT: Applications close
- January 2021: Decisions communicated by email
- For general questions related to the Fund for Gender Equality, please contact Rekha Pavanantharajah at email@example.com.
- For questions on eligibility and how to apply through Vancouver Foundation, please contact Vincent Tom at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For questions about the overall initiative or the funding program, please contact Community Foundations of Canada at email@example.com
The Fund for Gender Equality is supported by a collaboration between Community Foundations of Canada and the Equality Fund, with support from the Government of Canada.