You are here
Community Causes Learning Series - Social Services: Support for Immigrants and Refugees
The Welcome Centre is a regional services hub providing integrated housing and support services for newcomers destined to BC. In addition to ISSofBC, we learned about these three integrated organizations that help newcomers assimilate more readily into our society:
- Inland Refugee Society of British Columbia
- Mount Pleasant Family Centre Society
- Settlement Orientation Services
Our guests also had the opportunity to learn about Vancouver Foundation's Fresh Voices initiative. Nada Elmasry and Fadia Jouni, members Fresh Voice’s youth advisory group, shared their personal life experiences as refugees to Canada, and how their work with Fresh Voices has benefited their lives and supported many others.
Fresh Voices engages a youth advisory group of immigrant and refugee youth and youth workers to organize dialogue groups to address issues concerning Immigration, School & English Language Learning, Family, and Building Bridges & Working Solidarity.
You can watch a video about Fresh Voices here, and check out these two reports:
- Fresh Voices - Report & Recommendations - Discover the challenges and recommendations put forward by a group of 18 youth advisory team members.
- Fresh Voices - Syrian Refugee Youth Consultation & Community Stakeholder Forum - Summary report, detailing the experience of young Syrian men and women about their settlement experiences, challenges and successes during their first 8 months in Canada.
If you would like more information about our Community Causes Event Series, please contact our Donor Services Team at 604-688-2204.