You are here
For Individuals & Families
With Vancouver Foundation it's possible to give back to your community now, and leave a legacy for the future as well. We work with you to set up an endowment fund dedicated to philanthropy (see the long term advantage of an endowment fund). We help you put aside money that will be used for the charity or project of your choice.
Vancouver Foundation has helped thousands of donors make a positive difference in their communities, and in the lives of the people who live there.
Many families choose Vancouver Foundation as an alternative to setting up a private foundation because of our connections to the community, and simply because it's easier administratively. It's like having your own family foundation, but without all the expense and book-keeping. Families can then focus on the most fulfilling part... giving.
The art of giving
It's easy to set up your own endowment fund. Vancouver Foundation will do all the paperwork, and we look after issuing your grant cheques. You just need to make three decisions:
Choose the timing. Do you want your endowment fund to be established:
- immediately (and you can start giving grants right away)
- over time, through contributions
- later, through your estate.
2. Create a fund
Decide on the type of fund you would like:
- Donor Advised Fund – Donor Advised Funds are the most popular way to give at Vancouver Foundation. Similar to a private foundation, a Donor Advised Fund enables individuals and families to establish a charitable endowment fund, receive a donation tax receipt and then recommend grants over time. Grants can be made to any registered Canadian charity, or any of our Focus Areas.
- Designated Fund – a designated fund allows you to name charities that you wish to support in perpetuity through annual grant payments
Go here for more information about Types of Funds Vancouver Foundation offers or contact our Donor Services team at 604.688.2204.
We make giving easy. Choose from cheque, credit card, and securities. We've created a helpful donation calculator to help you make the most of your donation.
We are so grateful to you for supporting the work of Vancouver Foundation. For further information about establishing an endowment fund, please review our Giving Guide.
Community Causes Learning Series
Vancouver Foundation’s Community Causes provides learning opportunities to inform and inspire about a variety of community issues. Through story-telling and site tours, we are proud to showcase our funding partnerships with charities. Click here to see our past events or contact us at 604-688-2204 to attend an upcoming event.