You are here
For Third Party Fundraising Initiatives
Vancouver Foundation is very appreciative of gifts raised by individuals, organizations, or businesses who engage in fundraising activities. Such events or initiatives are considered “Third Party” initiatives, meaning that you are responsible for the planning, promotion and expenses associated with the initiative and Vancouver Foundation (or a fund at Vancouver Foundation) is the recipient of donations generated from the initiative. Any initiative associated with Vancouver Foundation, or any fund held at Vancouver Foundation, must promote and maintain a positive image of Vancouver Foundation and associating our name with your initiative must receive prior approval.
- The third party fundraiser ensures transparency and accurate record keeping for issuing of official donation tax receipts, and shares the required information with Vancouver Foundation for the purposes of issuing official donation tax receipts in a timely fashion.
- The third party fundraiser agrees to provide Vancouver Foundation with a full accounting of the monies or that portion of the monies donated to Vancouver Foundation.
- The third party fundraiser will disclose to Vancouver Foundation the amount of the advantage received by the participants as a result of their involvement in the fundraising event.
Fundraising Initiative Approval & Compliance
Vancouver Foundation must be notified, in advance, for all fundraising initiatives held on behalf of Vancouver Foundation or any fund held at Vancouver Foundation. This is to ensure that we are aware of your initiative and for assurance that it is in keeping with Vancouver Foundation’s brand and mission. Any individual, organization or business wishing to conduct a fundraising initiative using the Vancouver Foundation name, or the name of any Fund associated with Vancouver Foundation as recipient of the proceeds, must first contact Vancouver Foundation’s Donor Services department at 604-688-2204 or email email@example.com.
Vancouver Foundation will not sanction the following types of fundraising activities, including, but not limited to:
- Events that encourage/involve behaviour that is counter to Vancouver Foundation’s mission, values and programming activities
- Activities that involve a professional fundraiser, telemarketer and/or agreement to raise funds on a commission bonus or percentage basis
- Direct solicitation (door-to-door canvassing, telemarketing or non-Vancouver Foundation internet methods)
- Events involving the promotion of a political party or candidate, or appearing to endorse a political activity
Vancouver Foundation reserves the right to decline participation and support for any fundraising initiative that does not fall within our mandate. Vancouver Foundation may also, at any time, withdraw the right to use its name or the name of any Fund associated with Vancouver Foundation for fundraising or other purposes and all such activities shall immediately cease and be discontinued.
Acceptable wording to use in advertising for your initiative or event:
What’s going to Vancouver Foundation?
Wording to use in advertising
If all the money collected is going to Vancouver Foundation…
Proceeds benefit the (Fund name) Fund at Vancouver Foundation
If all the money minus your expenses is going to Vancouver Foundation…
A portion of the proceeds benefit the (Fund name) Fund at Vancouver Foundation. Or net proceeds to benefit the (Fund name) Fund at Vancouver Foundation
If a specific dollar amount in the purchase of a product is going to Vancouver Foundation…
You must state the dollar amount. For example: For every painting we sell on Sunday, $100 goes to the (Fund name) Fund at Vancouver Foundation
If a percentage of the proceeds are going to benefit Vancouver Foundation…
You must state what percentage. For example, 50% of the proceeds to benefit the (Fund name) Fund at Vancouver Foundation.
Publicity & Material Approval
- A full accounting of the revenues and expenses of the event.
- A complete list of those who made a donation, including:
- Full name
- Mailing address with postal code
- Phone number
- Amount of donation
- All donations requiring a donation tax receipt must be received in full. Credit card donations are to be entered by the donor via Vancouver Foundation’s website. Vancouver Foundation accepts Visa and MasterCard credit cards.
- Donations under $25.00
- Ticket purchase or entrance fee
- Raffle/lottery/draw ticket purchase
- Auction or silent auction items
- Donated services
- Gift-in-kind donations
- Sponsorships (a contribution made by a business for recognition and promotional purposes)